Monday, October 25, 2010

A Weekend to Remember

I have to say, the weekend of October 22nd is definitely one that I will remember for quite a long time. As mentioned in my most recent blog, I had gone up to Boston to visit my brother, and attend two Phish concerts, one in Rhode Island and the other in Amherst. Both concerts exceeded my expectations and brought the experience of going to concert to a whole new dimension. Once I arrived in Boston, my brother and I drove to Rhode Island, got ready for the show, and were off to groove out for the rest of the night. Phish played a number of my favorite songs in the first set, like NICU, Fluffhead, and Roses are Free, which was a great start to the show. Knowing the songs that the band plays while at a show is an integral part of the experience, since it sparks so much excitement when hearing the first few seconds of the song.

Not only did Phish play some of my favorite songs, we also managed to get amazing seats in the audience. Being up close is another excellent feature of a concert, especially when it is generally admission. We were no more than 15 rows away from the first row, which made the experience that much more exciting.

The next show was equally good, if not better than the first show. This time, Phish played some songs that were more obscure than the others, and made the show unique and interesting. For one thing, the drummer of the band got up in the middle of the first set, and started creating music with vacuum. It seems like such a strange thing, but it is not unheard of at a Phish show. The pitch of the vacuum fluctuates when he covers certain parts of it, and it made the crowd go absolutely wild. They then played a song in the second set called "You Enjoy Myself", where the guitarist, Trey, and bassist, Mike, jumped on trampolines while still playing the music. This was such a cool experience for the audience to not only hear good music, but visually see the band members having a blast and doing things that are not so common in the musical world.

I will soon be going to 3 Phish concerts in Madison Square Garden, one of the nights being New Years Eve. It is going to be another amazing three nights..I absolutely can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing to me that this "old" band never gets old to you. My son feels the same way. What makes somebody turn into a fan? Or Phann?

    ReplyDelete